As part of the Velocity podcast series, Mac Slocum of O'Reilly Radar interviewed Strangeloop president Joshua Bixby about measuring and making sense out of increased performance.
As Mac states in his introduction, "Joshua has presented at Velocity in Europe, Asia, and the U.S., and he always has some very interesting insights into the business of performance. Joshua talks about business KPIs, metrics, and the business benefits of performance optimization and always has plenty of data and graphs. In our recent conversation we mostly touched on the business of speed."
- A little background on Joshua and Strangeloop (What is a Strange Loop?) 00:00:26
- You've mentioned in your talks that we are in the middle of a couple of revolutions, what are they? 00:03:18
- When did you see an institutional need for making a business case for Web Performance Optimization? 00:05:21
- How do you benchmark a company's web properties that are most mobile, enterprise, or Web2 oriented so you are comparing apples to apples? 00:07:38
- How do you rank variable tradeoffs that engineers will inevitably encounter with time, cost, quality, scope and performance? 00:11:25
- What is the most common cause of mobile users not staying on a site, or not purchasing? Is it performance related? 00:12:36
- Do you have any real-life examples of dramatic improvements companies have achieved through performance optimization? 00:14:54
- In your experience, what is the most important benefit a company will get through performance improvements? 00:18:56